I saw this article on BuzzFeed listing 36 new and ingenious products that you’ll want as a new parent. All I could think was how silly this was, how these are just 36 things that get in the way of real connection. Admittedly there were a few great idea, like the mailbox and the sidecar co-sleeper, but I’ll pass on the rest! When becoming a new parent we are trained to think we NEED STUFF to make it easier. This could not be farther from the truth; it is not the gathering of stuff that will prepare us for parenting, it’s the gathering of qualities within ourselves.
So skip the trip to the mall to buy those few last items that you have been convinced you need and start preparing to fill you basket with these 36 QUALITIES you will need as a parent.
3. Joy for the little things
4. A sense of perspective
5. A sense of calm
7. The ability to laugh at yourself for all of the mistakes you (and ALL of us) make.
10. The ability to make tough decisions.
11. An openness to drastic changes
12. More patience
14. Tough skin against the criticism of others
15. Empathy for your child
16. A Lightness of Heart
17. Support for your partner
21. Perseverance (this is a LONG road you are embarking on!)
24. Gratitude for every moment, for everything you are blessed with.
32. Respect for other Parents; it’s hard work and they don’t need your judgement to make it harder.
33. Respect for your Child
34. Respect for your Partner
35. Respect for yourself
36. Unconditional love
You DO NOT need to be all of these things, of course not. But when we strive to be better people our children recognize this and this striving will be one of the best qualities you can pass onto them.